STCW stands for Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping. It is a worldwide convention that ensures a lateral standard of training is achieved across all countries in the world. So for instance, if you're a Captain from Europe or America, you will have to undergo similar training in accordance with the STCW convention.Who is STCW for?
Anyone wishing to work on commercial vessels that are over 24 metres long will have to obtain STCW qualifications/courses before they seek employment. The type of courses/qualifications you'll need will greatly depend on the position you're applying for and the post you'll be assigned to once you're on-board.
At the very minimum, you will need to obtain STCW Basic Safety Courses in order to apply to work on a ship. These courses can usually be completed within a week - during one block booking - at a designated STCW training centre.
The four basic STCW courses are as follows:
- Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities – This is a classroom-based course that focuses on teaching the essentials of basic safety.
- BASIC Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting – This firefighting course covers both practical and theoretical situations that are taught by professional firefighters.
- Personal Survival Techniques – A theory and practical course, you will be taught how to abandon ship using life rafts and also how to don life jackets correctly.
- Elementary First Aid – A theory and practical course, during this session you will be taught vital basic 1st aid and life savings skills.
Proficiency in Security Awareness - This course is not normally part of basic STCW week; however it is a required course that you must complete prior going to sea. Normally, if you book onto the 4 mandatory courses listed above, your course supplier will include this one for free. It's a half day course that can easily be slotted into your training week, and is designed to explain how security systems work on board.Other things to know:
You can easily book the whole STCW Basic Safety Course as a single package and immediately save yourself time and money. Compacted into just one week of teaching; instead of doing these courses separately, this package combines all 4 or 5 modules together, and instantly ensures you have all the necessary qualifications you need to work on board a ship within a more efficient time frame.
- Basic Safety Training (BST)
- Advance Fire Fighting (AFF)
- Survival Craft and Rescue Boat (SCRB)
- Medical First Aid (MFA)
- Medical Care (MC)
- Radar Simulator Automatic Radar Plotting Aid (ARPA)
- Electronic Chart Display and Information System (ECDIS)
- Bridge Resource Management (BRM) Ship Security Officer (SSO)
- Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS)
- International Maritime Dangerous Good Code (IMDG Code)
- Engine Resource Management (ERM)
- Security Awareness Training (SAT)
- Security Awareness Training for Seafarer with Designated Security Duties (SATSDSD)
- Fast Rescue Boat (FRB)
- Crowd Management Training (CMT)
- Crisis Management & Human Behaviour Training (CMHBT)
- Basic Safety Training - BST (refreshing)
- Advance Fire Fighting - AFF (refreshing)
- Survival Craft and Rescue Boat - SCRB (refreshing)
- Medical First Aid - MFA (refreshing)
- Medical Care - MC (refreshing)
- RADAR - ARPA (refreshing)
- Global Maritime Distress and Safety System - GMDSS (refreshing)
- Basic Oil Chemical Tanker (BOCT)
- Basic Liquified Gas Tanker (BLGT)
- Advance Oil Tanker (AOT)
- Advance Chemical Tanker (ACT)
- Advance Liquified Gas Tanker (ALGT)
- Basic Oil Chemical Tanker - BOCT (refreshing)
- Basic Liquified Gas Tanker - BLGT (refreshing)
- Advance Oil Tanker - AOT (refreshing)
- Advance Chemical Tanker - ACT (refreshing)
- Advance Liquified Gas Tanker - ALGT (refreshing)
Training K3 Jakarta is one of a growth HSEQ training and consulting company in Indonesia. Specializes providing a complete range of HSEQ training, consulting and certification for your company Health, Safety, Environment and Quality programs.
We are internationally and nationaly member of:
- British Safety Council No. S0401956 - 12820,
- National Fire Protection Association No. 2968186
- Migas/ESDM Services & Support Company No. 0717/SKT-02/DMT/2013
- Migas Official partnership institution for MIGAS training and certification body No. SK No.1125K/78.07/DJM/2013
- Ministry of Human Resource Republic Indonesia-HSEQ Training Company Registration
- No. 067/PPK/PJK3/VI/2016 For Mechanic
- No. 110/PPK/PJK3/VII/2016 For Fire
- No. 111/PPK/PJK3/VII/2016 For Construction
- No. 126/PPK/PJK3/VII/2016 For Health and Safety
- Association of Indonesian Health & ...